Research Assistant, Biology (Grant funded) - Ursinus Biology
The Department of Biology at Ursinus College seeks a full time assistant to conduct research in the area of developmental/cellular neurobiology beginning no later than November 1, 2019. The research assistant will work with Dr. Carlita Favero, Associate Professor of Biology and Neuroscience, to conduct and troubleshoot laboratory experiments, maintain a mouse breeding colony, train and supervise undergraduate researchers, and perform routine laboratory maintenance. This is an NIH grant-funded position for a period of 12 months, with the possibility of renewal pending additional funding.
- Perform experiments using mice, brain slices, and cultured cells to advance the lab’s research goals
- Mouse husbandry including handling, breeding, minor procedures such as injections, and genotyping
- Supervise, schedule, train, and assist undergraduate researchers and work-study students
- Organize, maintain, and regularly clean the laboratory space and equipment
- Stock consumable materials required for research in the laboratory
- Manage safety issues in the laboratory to ensure a clean and safe working environment
- Make solutions, clean glassware, and coordinate waste disposal
Requirements and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in biology or neuroscience required
- Specialized knowledge of cell, molecular, and developmental biology required
- Prior experience conducting laboratory techniques in cell/molecular biology or neuroscience required
- Basic computing skills and microscopy skills required
- Excellent interpersonal, trouble-shooting, organizational, and communication skills required
- The ability to work proactively and independently to troubleshoot experiments
- Previous experience with mice, alcohol research, or behavior helpful but not required
Interested candidates should apply here. Once you create an applicant account, you will be prompted to upload your cover letter, resume, unofficial transcripts and a list with contact information for three references to the applicant database. Direct specific questions about the position to Dr. Carlita Favero at [email protected].
Ursinus is an EO/AA employer. Ursinus College does not discriminate on grounds of race, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, age, creed, ancestry, veteran status, marital status, disability, or other classification protected by applicable law in the administration of any of its educational programs or activities or with respect to employment.