TENURE-TRACK ASSISTANT PROFESSOR
Occidental College invites applications for a tenure-track appointment at the rank of Assistant Professor in Cognitive Science. We seek someone whose research uses cognitive neuroscience, empirical, and/or computational approaches to study cognition, broadly construed. Potential research areas within cognitive science include but are not limited to linguistics, cognitive anthropology, higher order cognition, cultural cognition, and embodied cognition. Candidates must be committed to outstanding teaching and productive scholarly activity. Occidental College is a national liberal arts college recognized for its diverse student body, its commitment to academic excellence and equity, and its undergraduate research programs. The mission of Occidental College is to provide a gifted and diverse group of students with a total educational experience of the highest quality—one that prepares them for leadership in an increasingly complex, interdependent and pluralistic world. The distinctive interdisciplinary and multicultural focus of the College’s academic program seeks to foster both the fulfillment of individual aspirations and a deeply rooted commitment to the public good.
Review of all materials will begin on March 1, 2021. Late applications will be considered until the position is filled. Applications (pdf format preferred) should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org, and must include the following:
1. a letter of interest explicitly addressing your commitment to interdisciplinarity and to academic excellence in a diverse liberal arts environment;
2. a statement of teaching philosophy that includes a discussion of your demonstrated commitment to, past evidence of, and future plans for creating equitable opportunities for learning and mentoring, especially for underrepresented students;
3. evidence of teaching effectiveness, including teaching evaluations (if available);
4. a research statement describing the research you would conduct at Occidental and how you plan to involve a diverse group of Occidental undergraduates in this research;
5. a curriculum vitae;
6. samples of scholarly work; and
7. three confidential letters of recommendation, with at least one discussing the candidate’s teaching ability or potential. Please ensure that those named as references email their confidential recommendations to email@example.com.
We will consider for employment all qualified Applicants, including those with Criminal Histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance. Occidental College is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not unlawfully discriminate against employees or applicants on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, breastfeeding or related medical condition, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, marital status, physical disability,
mental disability, medical condition, genetic characteristic or information, military and veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by State or Federal Law. We strongly encourage all underrepresented candidates, especially women and underrepresented persons of color, to apply.