Neuroscience Undergraduate Research Virtual Symposium
April 9, 2022
April 9, 2022
Download the NURVS II Program Here
The Faculty for Undergraduate Neuroscience sponsored the second Neuroscience Undergraduate Research Virtual Symposium (FUN NURVS II), showcasing research conducted and presented by undergraduate researchers. NURVS II was held on Saturday April 9, 2022 using the online platform Gather, and hosted both oral and poster presentations. This event allowed students and faculty to make contacts with others who conduct or supervise undergraduate research.
(must be logged in to access)
The following information was posted prior to that event. It is included below to provide an overview of the process, and to guide students and faculty who are preparing for the next NURVS conference.
Student eligibility: All presenting students must have a faculty sponsor who is a current member of FUN. Undergraduate student researchers who graduated in 2021 are eligible, as are all current undergraduate researchers.
Faculty sponsor eligibility: Each FUN member in good standing can sponsor one abstract submission for NURVS II. Please be sure that you are current on your dues at funfaculty.org before having your student submit their abstract. Individual and institutional FUN members can each sponsor one submission.
Please note NURVS II is a separate meeting from the usual fall FUN poster session, and therefore requires its own abstract submission and registration.
- This call for abstracts will remain open until 9 pm EST on THURSDAY March 10.
- Students should download the abstract template file here, and edit it to create their abstract using Microsoft Word.
- Abstracts should be submitted via email to Dr. Mary E. Morrison at firstname.lastname@example.org, with the presenting student’s last name and FUN Abstract in the Subject line, along with an indication of whether the student is applying to give a talk or poster (example: Morrison FUN Abstract talk; Smith FUN Abstract poster).
- The faculty sponsor’s email should appear in the CC field of the email.
- Full contact information for the presenting student and the mentor should be included in the body of the email, and the abstract should be provided as an attached Microsoft Word file—not a link to an external website or other location. Submissions without presenter and mentor contact information in the accompanying email body will not be accepted.
- No edits will be allowed after email submission.
- Abstract submissions will be confirmed with a return email to the presenting student.
Information about NURVS II registration for presenters and attendees will be forthcoming on the FUN Listserv and on this page.
Below, you may find information from NURVS 2020 for your reference. Note that some aspects of the symposium may change.
FUN members may download the 2020 NURVS Program, archived here (you must be logged in to access the program).
In 2020, FUN hosted NURVS, a virtual symposium using the Zoom videoconferencing platform. There was no cost to attend the symposium, however all attendees had to register for the symposium to access the virtual sessions.
This virtual event was held in lieu of the FUN Poster Session that would have occurred during the 2020 Society for Neuroscience Meeting.
Details provided below are for archival purposes.
Symposium Date: Sunday, October 25, 2020 starting at 2 PM Eastern Time
Symposium Format: Several two-hour virtual sessions focusing on research across subfields of Neuroscience will occur concurrently on October 25. Each presentation will be allotted 15 minutes for a total of eight presentations in each 2-hour session. During each session, the host will present a prerecorded video (7-8 min in length) that is immediately followed by a live audience-generated question and answer session (6-7 min in length). This blended presentation format was selected to minimize technical difficulties while also providing undergraduate presenters with the opportunity to interact with a live audience. Audience members are encouraged to use the Chat function in Zoom to submit their questions to the session host. To ensure lively and successful sessions, it is anticipated that each presenter will attend their 2-hour session in its entirety. FUN members will serve as session hosts.
Presentation Format: Presenting authors must submit an abstract (300-word maximum) and a 7- to 8-minute pre-recorded video presentation. You may submit a link to a video hosted on a server (Dropbox, GoogleDrive, YouTube, etc.), or you may upload a video using .mp4 or .avi format. Please compress large files.
To produce your video, you may use a free service such as Screencast-O-Matic, which has several helpful tutorials and also can host your video for free. Contact email@example.com if you have questions or issues with submission.
Note: Please ask your faculty sponsor to volunteer as a session host, and indicate this on the submission form.
Abstract and video submission window: Abstract submission is now closed.
1. All undergraduate students including those who graduated in 2020 are eligible to present.
2. Sponsors must be dues-paying members in good standing and are encouraged to attend the virtual meeting.
3. Each FUN member may sponsor one presentation; Institutional Members may also sponsor one presentation.
If you have any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
We look forward to seeing all of you on October 25th!
NURVS program committee: